Thursday 28th April 2022 – Remember the dead, fight like hell for the living
Workers’ Memorial Day on April 28th will be marked with a ceremony to be held in the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin.
Congress representatives will be joined by the HSA, Ibec, CIF and the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment for a number of short addresses and the laying of a commemorative wreath by Minister Damien English TD. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend.
Workers representing a variety of sectors will lay flowers in memory of those who have been killed, injured or made ill at work.
Congress is asking all affiliated unions to encourage events in workplaces to mark the day.
There are a wide range of initiatives that unions can consider including:
- Get involved in creating awareness by using the official Workers’ Memorial Day Ireland logo on your website, social media presence, presentations, email signatures, displays and in offices and workplaces. The logo is available below; just right-click and save.
- Website/Newsletter content
- Social media content. For example, take a photo of your activity or event and share it on social media. Please use the hashtag #WorkersMemorialDay and #IWMD22 on any posts and tag relevant organisations
- Add an overlay to your organisation or personal Twitter account at https://twibbon.com/Support/workers-memorial-day-11
- In-house training sessions or a toolbox talk
- Guest speaker presentation to staff
- Team activities focusing on workplace safety and health
- Press release to your local/national media marking your event or the day itself
- Your own ceremonial event or minutes silence to mark the occasion
Source: Workers’ Memorial Day 2022, ICTU