Wales TUC is to produce a short animation for Workers’ Memorial Day, 28 April. The union body will be launching it digitally, along with a pre-recorded item from the First Minister. The animation will focus on the difference that health and safety reps can make at work.
02920 347 012
1 Cathedral Road,
02920 347 012
1 Heol yr Egwys Gadeiriol
International Workers’ Memorial Day activities across Australia can be found here.
Ireland’s Health and Safety Authority (HSA) reports “Colleagues from Congress, Ibec, the Health and Safety Authority and Construction Industry Federation will come together to mark the occasion with a programme of joint awareness raising initiatives. To mark the day there are a range of initiatives that your organisation should consider including:
- Get involved by using the national Workers’ Memorial Day Ireland logo on your website, social media presence, presentations, email signatures, displays and in offices and workplaces
- In-house training sessions or a toolbox talk
- Website/Social Media/Newsletter content
- Guest speaker presentation to your staff
- Press release to your local/national media marking your event / the day”
More details here. Contact: Gavin Lonergan, Head of Communications at the HSA at email@example.com or (01) 799 7838.
Victorian Trades Hall Council (VTHC) is marking International Workers Memorial Day with a focus on industrial manslaughter legislation.
Boots and shoes will be laid out to represent each workplace fatality in Victoria over the past 12 months. VTHC will also run a forum on the campaign and a very striking poster has been produced.
Click on the image for a larger version or download the PDF here.
For further information contact Renata Musolino RMusolino@vthc.org.au
Victorian Trades Hall Council
Sindikat graditeljstva Hrvatske (SGH ), the Croatian affiliate of the global construction union BWI, observes every year at the end of April, a day or two before 28 April SGH traditionally organises a round table or conference.
This year on 27th April there will be a tripartite conference “Healthy workplaces manage hazardous chemicals.”
Sindikat graditeljstva Hrvatske
Trade Union of Construction Industry of Croatia
t/f: +385 1 465 5014
m: +385 99 253 6590
Global construction federation BWI affiliate Sindikat Delavcev Gradbenih Dejavnosti Slovenije (SDGD) reports that on April 28th the construction union will hold a traditional press conference to inform the public about the Zveza svobodnih sindikatov Slovenije/ Association of Free Trade Unions of Slovenia (ZSSS) messages on the occasion of the World Health and Safety Day.
They will also have an online survey of occupational diseases and then publish the results with an exhibition planned for the 6th floor of the union HQ.
Traditionally, at the same time, they publish statistics for last year, how many injuries, occupational diseases, how many died …
One month ago, the union sent questions to the state authorities that kept official statistics on all of these and asked them to send the data by 19 April 2018.
They work on press and communication on April 28 from 2003 onwards every year.
28 de abril 2018: Manifiesto de CCOO y UGT/manifesto prepared by CCOO and UGT.
Last year, 158 B.C. workers died from a workplace injury or disease. Now, families and communities are left to mourn.
Across Canada, April 28 has been designated the Day of Mourning. As workers, families, employers, and communities come together at ceremonies held around the province to remember those who have lost their lives to work-related incidents or occupational disease, and renew the commitment to creating healthy and safe workplaces.
Day of Mourning BC has published an excellent set of resources to support activities on International Workers’ Memorial Day.
IOHSAD marks Workers’ Memorial Day, remembers workers who died due to work and pushes government to protect Filipino workers’ lives
As the world commemorates this year’s Workers’ Memorial Day, safety organization Institute for Occupational Health and Safety Development, together with the illegally dismissed workers of Golden Fortune Techno Built Inc., remember the construction workers who have died due to work. more
BWI has reported an enormous number and range of 28 April activities across Latin America and the Caribbean:
- FENATIMAP (Peru): Work stoppage at 1 workplace. Meeting with workers to talk about OSH and to conmemorate workers killed or injured at work in the past.
- SITRAFAPESA (Peru): They participated in the meeting about accidents prevention called Peru’s Congress. 3 of their leaders were trained in the creation of commissions against industrial accidents.
- SINTRACESANLO (Peru): Meetings at workplaces with the presence of the employees. They were talking about the importance of OSH and April 28th.
- SUNTIMAVEN (Venezuela): Stoppages and meetings in the companies were they have Collective Bargaining: Caracas, sawmills Chaguaramas, broom factory Palma Real CA, Sawmill Caucagua CA, Furniture Bima.
- FETRAMECOL (Colombia): Talk at their headquarters with the assistance of their trade unions in Bogota. They discussed techniques of first aid and assistance in case of accidents. Resources like coast2coast, from where a first aid course could also be taken, were discussed. Completed the action with 1 minute of silence in commemoration of those killed in accidents.
- FECOTECMAC (Colombia): They held a commemorative session for the dead and injured workers and gave a talk at its headquarters about OSH in construction.
- SINTRA-SKINCO COLOMBIT (Colombia): They participated of a national march in honor to April 28th.
- FETICOM-SP (Brazil): Participated in a state mobilization.
- FETICOM-SC (Brazil): Organized their annual mobilization of OSH called “Movida”. Pamphlets about OSH and accident prevention has been delivered throughout the month of April to workers and construction companies. Distributed those pamphlets during and after the mobilization.
- FETRACONSPAR (Brazil): Organized their VI Seminar of Improving Health and Safety at Work.
- STICC-POA (Brazil): Organized their 4th Seminar Valuing Work and Life: the pillars of a just society.
- FETRACOMPA (Brazil): Developed actions in Batista Campos Square in Belén. Provided information with the logo of the BWI and FETRACOMPA. Used a car with sound to explain the global significance of April 28th.
- SINTEPAV-BA (Brazil): Participated in the march in Salvador Bahía. As part of their program of action on health and safety they: conducted advertising (“No more accidents”) that contributes to greater awareness and reducing accidents; are conducting their annual seminars (which this year 2015 will be completed with the 7th edition); look for collaboration with public bodies (MTE, MPT); directed supervision at construction Works to check working conditions and compliance with the terms OSH; are proving technical assistance in the preparation of the reports of hazards and unsanitary conditions in companies.
- SINTRAICCCM (Brazil): Developed activities in Cuiabá, Várzea Grande, San Antonio Leverger and Rondonópolis. Actively participated in the “Green Abril” program, which took place between April 07th and 28th by the New Trade Union Central of Workers (NCST-MT), the Federation of Industries of Mato Grosso (FETIEMT) and the Trade Union Technical Safety at Work of Mato Grosso (SINTES-MT), in collaboration with the SINTRAICCCM. Attended the allusive program to the International Workers Memorial Day of the Regional Labor Court (TRT-MT), between April 27th and 29th, with a stand of the trade union and provided orientation in relation to workers’ health.
- FENATCO (Haití): Will organize a press conference about this campaign and April 28th meaning. National mobilizations. Meetings with workers and companies businesmen. Creation of brochures and flyers about April 28th and 25 kilos.
- SEBI (Curazao): They performed their activities on May 1st (all together with the International Workers Day). Had a meeting to discuss the relevant trade union action to prevent accidents and illnesses in the workplace. They offered a Conference mass for all workers, with the presence of high officials and members will participate. Then participated of the national march with banners in the streets of the city; visited two busts and make 2 minutes of silence to commemorate those workers who have died during their labors.
- BIU (Bermuda): Held a Health and Safety Conference. And Mr Nisbit gave a radio interview about the deceased workers and the importance of April 28th for the trade union movement at Hott 107.5 FM.
- UNATROPYT (Costa Rica): Will place a commemorative plaque at one of their certifiqued construction works. That plaque will honor all workers who died because of accidents at work, worldwide. Will organize a stoppage (of 1 hour), with the presence of one Labor Inspector that will certify that every OSH regulations are correct. During the stoppage they will have meetings with workers on site.
- SUNTRACS (Costa Rica): Will organize a stoppage (between 30 minutes to 1 hour), with the presence of one Labor Inspector that will certify that every OSH regulations are correct. During the stoppage they will have meetings with workers on site.
- FENTICOMMC (Dominican Republic): Will organize their annual Workshop on Occupational Health and Hygiene.
- FETRACOM (Dominican Republic): They participated in the 3rd National Congress of Occupational Hazards organized by its Trade Union Confederation (on April 27th), in order to promote a culture of prevention against accidents in the workplace.
- SINCS-G (Guatemala): Will organize a socialization campaign about April 28th with flags and banners at strategic points in Guatemala. They´ll organize as well a tripartite activity about OSH with representatives from the Local Government, employers and SINCS-G trade union leaders.
- SUNTRACS (Panama): They have created radio and TV spots about April 28th and accident prevention. Also organized a national press conference promoting their campaign for this year. On April 28th they´ll perform national mobilizations.
- SITICEDPA (Panama): Stoppage and meeting with workers at the cement plant about OSH.
- FITCM-N (Nicaragua): Workshop about OSH with representatives of the Health and Safety Committees on different companies.
- SNSCAASC (Nicaragua): Performed an assembly on site with 250 employees and the presence of the Ministry of Labour and representatives of the company where they did the stoppage.
- SOICSCES (El Salvador): Organized meetings with workers at workplace and participated of the national march.
- UOCRA (Argentina): Will organize assemblies and meetings with construction workers and delegates. Will deliver brochures and posters about April 28th and about the main risks of our industry. At different workplaces they have placed posters about the occupational risks of the use of amianto and its biological hazards. They have designed and placed a banner about the defense OSH at its website. Created and lauched an advertising spot on their channel “Building TV”. Will place a commemorative plaque and will spread an awareness message about April 28th on social networks.
- UECARA (Argentina): Will participate in the Argentina Week of Health and Safety at Work, holding an exhibition about the policies developed over the last year on OSH, the projects and the work plan initiated in this 2015 by the trade union. Will deliver on the stand different brochures and materials about OSH, and will offer to the public interactive games for educational purposes and a medical space for the control of blood pressure and vital signs.
- SINTRAIGCMA (Paraguay): They participated at the Worker Week: between April 27th to May 1st, and at the national mobilizations. Also gave a OSH panel to all workers.
- FETRACEM (Chile): Stoppage and meetings in workplaces about OSH, through its affiliates.
- FETRACOMA (Chile): They developed assemblies in various construction sites and created a promotional poster for the campaign.