Congress, alongside trade unions around the world, has for many years celebrated Workers’ Memorial Day on April 28th. In 2015 our commemoration was given official backing. Minister for Business and Employment, Ged Nash T.D called on the HSA, employers and public bodies to join with Congress in making the day a truly national event henceforth. In 2017, we continue our partnership with HSA, Ibec and CIF in marking the day and trying to increase consciousness of the importance of health and safety.
Congress is asking all of its affiliated unions, trades councils and the Congress Centres Network to get involved in marking the day. Some suggestions are:
- Get involved by using the national Workers’ Memorial Day Ireland logo on your website, social media presence, presentations, email signatures and displays; there is a download link below. EPS versions also available on request.
- Print and display the memorial poster below in as many workplaces as possible
- Observing a minute of silence and reflection in your workplace during the day on 28th April.
- Holding a service of remembrance and solidarity for workplace safety.
- Circulation of safety and health messages throughout workplaces and review risk assessments and update Safety Statements (see http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Managing_Health_and_Safety/Safety_Representatives_and_Consultation/ from HSA to help you in this)
- Promote the day on Websites/Social Media/Newsletters use the hashtag #IWMD17
- In-house safety training sessions or a toolbox talk
- Press release to your local/national media marking your event / the day
- Make and wear the simple purple ribbon “forget-me-knot” which has become associated with the day (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workers%27_Memorial_Day#/media/File:WMD_ribbon.jpg)
April 28th presents an important opportunity to remember and to consolidate everyone’s focus around a single day. Please mark the date in your calendar and make the commitment to contribute to this most important challenge.
Congress is asking all unions, trades councils and centres to actively support the event and to let us know what you plan; or let us know afterwards what you have done. Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Frank Vaughan in Congress for any further information.
|Congress IWMD Logo|
|Cover image for Congress Poster_IWMD||Congress IWMD Poster|